The Mayo Clinic Diet is a weight-loss and health program developed by experts at the Mayo Clinic. This diet focuses not just on calorie counting but on making healthy food and lifestyle choices.
Here’s a brief overview:
- Lose It! Phase (Two weeks):
During this phase, you can lose up to 6 to 10 pounds in two weeks. The emphasis is on adopting 15 key habits without worrying about calorie counts. These habits include healthy eating patterns and daily physical activity.
- Live It! Phase:
This phase focuses on recognizing portions, planning meals and menus, and staying physically active. The goal is to lose 1 to 2 pounds weekly until reaching the desired weight.
- Foods to Focus On:
- Fruits and Vegetables: Aim for 3 or more servings of vegetables and 2 or more servings of fruits daily.
- Whole Grains: Includes foods like quinoa, brown rice, oats, and whole grain bread and pasta.
- Lean Proteins: Fish, poultry, beans, soy, and low-fat dairy products.
- Healthy Fats: Nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados.
- Foods to Limit or Avoid:
- Sugar: Especially from sweets, desserts, and sugary beverages.
- Full-fat Dairy and Fatty Meats: Such as whole milk, fatty cuts of meat, and processed meats.
- Refined Grains: Like white bread and white rice.
- Excess Sodium: Mainly from processed foods.